Post by lebleuchevalier on Feb 11, 2019 16:39:05 GMT
I am unsure where to post this, and if this thread should be relocated to another forum, mods, please forgive my error in judgment.
I purchased a sword second hand on this forum back in September 2018. The sword required a repair to be made and the original manufacturer offered to make the repair free of charge, although I did pay to ship it to the forge. In early October, the manufacturer told me the repairs were complete and the sword was ready to ship.
It is now February and I have not received the sword. I have messaged the manufacturer every month since the repairs were completed to inquire when the sword would ship. Every reply has been the same: the manufacturer is waiting for a box. The last reply I received was just after Thanksgiving.
Let me be clear: I do not wish to identify the manufacturer because I certainly do not wish to slander them or to make accusations. All I want is to recover my property. I have offered to pay to ship the sword back to me. Today, I offered to make the drive to the forge to pick it up in person if I have to.
My question is this: what options do I have to recover my property? I do not wish to make waves or to upset people. All I want is the sword returned to me. I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed.
I'll edit some stuff here at the behest of those concerned
Start with phone calls, leave a message of intent that you are calling the office of the local State's Attorney
Call the maker
Call the County State's Attorney
Send a strongly worded registered letter to the maker.
Advise the maker you are sending a copy of the letter to the State's Attorney office. Further, supply the state's attorney office with copies of all messages (from both parties) pertinent to the matter.
Half measures would be persistence on Facebook via messaging but to me, it would be easier to drop a dime on him. I don't know who at the shop you have been in contact with is but the proprietor is responsible. They are a busy shop and it may be lost in the shuffle. Save all communication and transcribe/note or record any voice conversations.
File a notice with the Better Business site but they don't solve the issues, only report them.
I would just pm them on fb or call them and if they dont respond then consider legal actions, i think they might have honestly forgotten they are pretty busy and i dont think they would risk their reputation over something like this
Post by lebleuchevalier on Feb 12, 2019 3:49:42 GMT
Well, I have been messaging them fairly consistently. I think they are deliberately putting me off. The excuse of waiting for a box is just plain nuts. I am going to write letters sent via registered mail and contact the authorities to explore my options. It's my property and they have to return it.
yeah give it one last try, contact them either via phone number or with facebook messenger, let them know u want your property back if they seem dismissive and if they just say whatever then pursue legal actions
i wanna give these guys the benefit of the doubt but 4 months is kinda stupid long, tho they are pretty well known and a major forge so idk just give it 1 more try dude before you really start going down the route of the law, if u want i can try contacting them on fb for u
By not identifying a company that has taken your property, a legal concept called conversion, you are carrying their water for them.
The disservice is not warning the forum of who to avoid!
I had a simple misunderstanding turned into an absolute CF thanks to an outpouring of folks not involved taking it upon themselves to email, call, and otherwise harass a vendor in an act of internet vigilantism, after someone helpfully dug up references to the incident and volunteered the information. It basically killed any motivation on the other side to even pretend to work with me.
Once the legal wheels start moving, expect to move at the speed of court.
A lot better to just get it handled before that point.
Either they're having some kind of a problem, or there's something shadier going on. I'd give them the time to reply to your last email - within same sort of time frame as previous communications - and if they object to your extremely reasonable suggestion of picking the sword up in person, then I'd involve the authorities.
"For sometimes persons do not know, they do not wish to know, and they have no intention of knowing. For such persons there is no excuse, but they are altogether to be condemned."
-- Heinrich Kramer & James Sprenger, Malleus Maleficarum
Post by lebleuchevalier on Feb 12, 2019 15:36:38 GMT
So, I last heard from them on November 27. I was so busy with the holidays that I did not bother emailing in December. I wrote them on January 24th and as recently as last week. So they have had several weeks to respond. I just cannot fathom how I can wait this long for a box. At best, the proprietor has forgotten about me. At the very worst, the repairs were never done and they are buying time. If we aim somewhere in the middle, the repairs are done but shipping my sword is just not anywhere near the list of priorities. Well, I may need to start pushing.
Post by lebleuchevalier on Feb 12, 2019 15:37:52 GMT
I would rather not make the drive down there until spring has come. It's a five hour drive and I would do so only with the intent of taking a little holiday with the added benefit of picking up my property.
Post by lebleuchevalier on Feb 12, 2019 16:40:17 GMT
I just filed an official complaint with the Attorney General's office after a long conversation I had with them over the phone. I have also sent copies of all my correspondence with the forge. I did this as a safeguard because their current backlog is four weeks. So it will take them approximately four weeks to contact me via phone to begin the mediation process. If the sword is returned to me before then, I will ask the office to disregard my complaint. Enough is enough. I think it is time to bring the law into the matter.
christain: What antique collection? Me 'n Red???
Feb 21, 2019 20:19:31 GMT
joseph08: Loved to see this antique collection.
Feb 21, 2019 5:46:48 GMT
redscorpion: Mmmm....pot roast. With onion gravy and 'smashed taters.... heaven...
Feb 21, 2019 1:42:38 GMT
christain: Talk later....big supper on the table. Oh yeah...pot-roast and all the trimmings. I'm done for...
Feb 21, 2019 1:25:10 GMT
christain: I'm really not much of a social-gathering type of person, but I love to Ren-Fest so I can walk around in an outlandish costume (except Halloween) and not have anyone look at me funny...other than to admire.
Feb 21, 2019 1:21:46 GMT
redscorpion: Been doing too much work myself. I would love to take some time and attend a nerd-fest of some type, but I don't see that happening for at least the next 6 months.
Feb 21, 2019 0:43:05 GMT
christain: I'll (hopefully) get back to work in time to put a little cash stash back. Having a 'seasonal' job can really suck. Very slow in the winter.
Feb 20, 2019 22:58:36 GMT
nerdthenord: Probably not this year unfortunately. Who knows next year.
Feb 20, 2019 22:45:01 GMT
christain: Speaking of Springtime...Any of you Texans planning on going to Scarborough Fair this year? I hope to be able to go. Costume?: As yet undecided. Armor?: Almost 100% sure thing.
Feb 20, 2019 20:56:40 GMT
christain: Rain and cold was intolerable yesterday. Today....I went outside with my dogs wearing just my PJ's and a bathrobe. WTF? It's a wonder people aren't keeling over from pneumonia. Call me ready for Springtime.
Feb 20, 2019 20:50:28 GMT
nerdthenord: Pretty nice day here so far. Cool but sunny.
Feb 20, 2019 20:40:42 GMT
Djinnobi (Venus): It is quite warm over here in central Canada as well. Only -18C
Feb 20, 2019 18:19:34 GMT
redscorpion: 11 C (53 in real measurement), but gloomy grey and drizzle rain- very English. Not so bad for this time of year. Good camping weather.
Feb 20, 2019 14:25:39 GMT
christain: Not frozen seas here (yet), but plenty wet and icky cold outside. Good day to stay inside huddled up in bed with the missus, puppydawgs, a bag of popcorn, and an old movie.
Feb 19, 2019 20:36:40 GMT
ouroboros: Yeargh and avast ye scurvy dawgs. Let sl the mooring lines for our boat be in frozen seas ... -19 C ...
Feb 19, 2019 15:32:26 GMT
nerdthenord: It was a nice week off. Alas, I must return to the grind tomorrow. Valhalla!!
Feb 18, 2019 0:39:55 GMT
ouroboros: -6C east of Ottawa, winds from the west at 14kph. Nice looking morning out there. I see a good day ahead
Feb 16, 2019 15:22:16 GMT
christain: I'll be SOOO glad to get back to work. Boss said maybe mid-March. I need a H/T Bastard to keep my H/T Longsword company. Bet your boots, I'll have a winter side-job lined up for next year! Wifey doesn't like it when things get tight. Neither do I.
Feb 15, 2019 23:41:58 GMT
christain: It's about 72F. here. I may sit out by the fire-pit tonight. Spent a good part of the afternoon polishing armor. This becomes a bi-weekly thing in winter. But, with the up 'n down temps here, I can see rust forming. From cold and dry to warm and damp--yup.
Feb 15, 2019 23:34:20 GMT
ouroboros: +3 degrees C today. I'm rejoicing in this summer weather while it lasts. The downturn begins next moanday.
Feb 15, 2019 20:26:27 GMT
All original submitted content is protected under our general copyright and is the property of Sword Buyers Guide Limited. Do not re-publish or otherwise distribute the content here without first obtaining permission from the forum administration. All rights reserved.